In 1915, a piece of land 30 acres was acquired with the idea of converting into a garden for displaying of indigenous species. In 1917, Government sanctioned the formation of a botanic garden and the preliminary work started. Its idea of design was inspired by Kew Garden of England with the help of botanists Mr. Alex Rodger and Lady Cuffe. In 1924, the garden which by this time comprised 97 hectares, was declared as Maymyo Botanical Garden Reserve. In 2001, the garden has been upgraded with the name of National Kandawgyi Gardens.
National Kandawgyi Gardens is only one garden designated as botanic garden by the Government which open to public. It is located at Pyin Oo Lwin, Mandalay Region, where also known as hill station at above sea level 1,078 meters. Now, the garden has an area of 177 hectares including 28 hectares of water body.
Copyright 2018, Htoo Zoos and Gardens Business Unit. All rights reserved.